7 Best Wireless Dog Fences 2018 ~ Buyers Guide
Every dog owner is always concerned about the safety of their pets. Some of them invest heavily in installing wireless electric dog fences around their compounds. In this article, I will highlight the factors one should consider when choosing the best wireless dog fence, how to install them, their benefits and the different types of wireless electric dog fences.
Benefits of Wireless Dog Fence
There are several benefits which are obtained from installing the best wireless dog fence in a compound. They are;
- Affordability : The cost incurred when installing a wooden fence around a compound is higher than that of a wireless electric fence.
- It is not labor intensive: When one is installing a wooden fence or an underground electric fence around a yard, aesthetic beauty is usually lost. Deep circular pits may have to be dug to connect electrical cables. However, in using wireless dog fences, all that is required is for one to fix the system, plug it into a socket and to switch it on.
- A dog's or a dog owner's view is not obstructed: Wireless dog fences are invisible. One's view of the surrounding environment is not blocked. They enable dogs to get familiar with neighbors and frequent passersby. It prevents them from backing on anyone that they see.
- They can't be damaged: Such fences can't get destroyed by pet onslaughts or harsh weather. There are no small holes made in it which would allow the entry of small animals into the compound. All that one has to do for the fence to last longer is to maintain its battery life properly.
- They track a dog's location: Traditional wooden fences only allow dogs to get inside a compound. Wireless dog fences enable one to monitor a dog's position and movement inside the compound. It assures the owner of its safety.
- They have multiple uses: Apart from monitoring a dog's movement, wireless electric fences can also be used to train dogs. This could begin when a puppy is two months old. It can be taught commands such as responding to calls. If one owns more than one dog, they will just need one wireless electric fence system. They can purchase several dog collars depending on the number of their dogs and use the safe, wireless network to contain all dogs within the compound.
Best Wireless Dog Fences in 2018: Top Picks (Updated list)
size of dog
5 to 90 feet with additional ½ acre
105 feet in all direction
Up to 11 acres
⅓ to 5 acres
over 8 pounds
Up to 2.5 acres
over 8 pounds
Up to 5 acres
Over 8 pounds
Up to 500 meters radius
over 8 pounds
** all the ratings are given by our authors based on their experience. Click the above name to check the price on Amazon directly.
Top 7 Wireless Dog Fence for Large Dogs Reviews
There is no wireless fence which is perfect for all dogs. Large dogs weigh about 50 pounds, and their necks are usually 18-25 inches wide. The following are the best fences that one can use to contain them.
It has a rectangular or square range shape and a circular boundary which keeps dogs inside a yard. The perimeter can be adjusted to 90 feet using an indoor transmitter. Setting it up takes 2hours at most, and it doesn't need wires. Its receiver collar is durable and waterproof. There are five static correction levels which make it ideal for training dogs which weigh more than eight pounds. Multiple dogs can be trained to it at a time.
Problems with PetSafe wireless system
The system has various disadvantages.
-It has a complicated installation process. This is time-consuming, and one still needs to train a dog to get used to it.
-It should be sheltered. It is placed in the middle of the compound for safety reasons.
-It is not flexible. It must be in the center of a circular boundary making it unsuitable for use in rectangular plots and borders. The system is less efficient on small parcels of land.
It is useful in training stubborn dogs, and it has an extra wireless collar receiver. A dog is free to roam when fixed with this collar. Its transmitter can be installed inside the house where it sends wireless signals. This is a portable fence.
The collar is light and comfortable to dogs. It fits necks which are up to 28 inches wide and dogs which weigh more than 5 pounds. There are several levels of static correction for training dogs.
It has an extensive coverage of 11 acres, and it has a waterproof collar which fits dogs whose necks are 14-26 inch wide. The fence system has a boundary breach alert which informs a person when the dog passes its boundary.
It enables one to train several dogs at a time since it is possible to adjust each dog's correction levels during training. Dogs should be trained for 10 minutes each day and three times a day for the first three weeks. It helps them get adapted to the fence system quickly.
It has an in-ground containment for dogs which is comfortable and secure. The system enhances proper training to dogs. It has mild corrections that monitor dogs which go beyond the containment system. One can use it on many dogs at a time during wet and dry seasons.
The fence can be used in wired and wireless systems. The wireless system contains dogs in a circular area while an in-ground fence can be used for custom shape yards. Its coverage area is broader than that of other fence systems. It has a transmitter that can cover 5 acres in a wired network.
You can purchase it from Amazon.com at less than $350.
An inexperienced dog owner can install it easily. You can customize and tailor boundaries or fences to meet your needs.
It is sold at less than $200.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Wireless Dog Fence
There are various factors which should guide one when selecting the best wireless dog fence.
You can also train your dog using the Sportdog Field Trainer SD-425. It will help in making him get accustomed to remaining within your backyard even when he is alone. The field trainer is found in most online stores and it is sold at affordable prices. Using both the manual trainer and installing the best wireless dog fence would be useful in controlling your pet’s movement.
1. The dog's temperament
Various dog breeds have different personalities and characters. The type of wireless fence selected should be compatible with a dog's temperament. If for instance a dog is energetic and it is being trained as a guard dog, it will be defensive. A high fence should be installed as the dog could be dangerous in case it escapes.
2. The dog's size
Different dogs vary in size. If one owns a small dog such as a Pug, a short fence should be installed. On the other hand, if they own a large dog such as a Labrador, they should fix a high wireless fence.
3. A dog's age
A dog's age is vital when choosing a wireless fence. If it is in its growing stage, the type of fence installed should ensure the dog's safety even after it matures. A high fence should also be used if it's a puppy.
4. The dog's chewing habit
Different dogs posses different habits. Some are fond of munching on treats while others appear to be restless. For such restless dogs, a high fence should be used as they can easily escape.
Installation of a Wireless Dog Fence
Installing a best wireless dog fence is a natural process which takes few hours. The following steps could guide a person on how to do it.
- Placing the transmitter: This is the most sensitive and time-consuming activity in this process. The antenna should be at the center of the yard but not close to wireless signals such as routers. It should also not be near a lot of metal such as a laundry room or a furnace. They could block or diminish the signal. - The transmitter should be on the ground floor. It should be near an outer wall, and it should not be moved since it could interfere with signal transmittance. At first, it should not be attached to any object as one could need to adjust it.
- Turning on the collar: The collar should be turned on after the transmitter has been placed. Some collar models need to be synced with a secure fence while others don't. These instructions can be obtained from the collar's manual.
- Setting boundaries: Most wireless electric fences have their radius, high or low settings. Some have a 120-foot radius while others have a 90-foot radius. If one wants to reach the system's full maximum range, she should use the high setting. The scope of the system should be adjusted as per its manual.
- Setting collars with multiple settings: Sensitive dogs need a low sound setting while aggressive dogs need a high setting. The collar should be set and its setting adjusted according to the manual.
- Finding the edge: The edge can be determined by using the collar. One should hold an activated collar and walk around in the compound with it until it beeps. He should place a flag there and continue walking within the compound as they put flags after every 5 feet to create a visual boundary.
Once this is done, the transmitter should be secured in a place where it can't be knocked or bumped by pets and children. It should be physically mounted to the closet. The collar can then be put on a dog and training can commence.
Best Dog Proof Fence Options
To dog proof a fence, one can use the following options.
It is ideal for dogs which like patrolling fence lines. Dense shrubs such as Boxwood can be planted along the fence line. They prevent dogs from jumping high when attempting to escape. Landscaping widens the buffer zone between a dog and the fence. It allows the dog to rest for a while. However, one should regularly inspect the shrubs to check whether the dog has created a tunnel between them.
- Slats, garden fencing, and reed rolls
Reed fencing can be applied if a dog reacts to what he sees through a chain link fence. It is a cheap option which increases the aesthetic value of a fence and privacy in a yard. Plastic slats can also be fed through a chain link fence. If one is not bothered when a dog sticks its head through the fence, she can add rolls of garden fencing.
If one has a dog which is fond of digging, this option is appropriate. Wires can be laid against the base of the fence while bent at a 90-degree angle. This wire fencing can be buried slightly, or it can be put on the grass and covered by rocks or garden gnomes.
- Concrete footers
They can be used if a dog is addicted to digging. Concrete should be poured along the fence line and be the bottom part of the fence should be sunk into it before it dries up.
- Coyote rollers
They are specially designed to prevent jumping dogs from gripping the top part of the fence. They can be enjoined with PVC pipes.
- Build lean-ins
It can be done using garden fencing such that the top of the fence is bent and parallel to the ground.
They are handy if a yard doesn't have a fence such as a boarding facility or a dog park. Airlocks are built before the main entrance such that is the door is opened, and a dog runs away; they are contained by them outside the door.
More Reviews you must love:
For some dogs, a sturdy gate is added in front of the porch while for some, a tiny fenced in the area should be built in front of the door with a locking gate. A doorbell can be added to the airlock to make visitors wait outside an airlock before being let in. This option is commonly applied in dog cares.
They restrain dogs and allow people to move around. Dogs should not be left unattended in the yard especially if they fight frequently. They can also be attacked by snakes or get bored. Boredom causes dogs to be more adventurous, and they tend to escape regularly. It can be reduced by providing with them playing toys.
Best Wireless Fence for Small Dogs
These wireless fences are suitable for small dogs.
Pet Control Wireless Fence
It has a safe containment system and waterproof shock collars which have a receiver, battery, and remote. It can be used to keep dogs within the boundary and in training three dogs. The collar can fit large, medium and small dogs which weigh more than 11 pounds.
PetSafe Wireless Pet System
It is a portable fence system which has a circular boundary that keeps dogs in the compound. The boundaries can be adjusted to 90 feet from the transmitter. Its overall adjustable area is a half acre. There is a battery indicator which alerts a person when the charge is low. It can be adjusted according to the dog's neck, and it can be used on several dogs at a time.
-One can choose tone or static.
-Has five static correction levels.
-An adjustable waterproof collar.
-A low battery light indicator.
-No wires are buried underground.
-An easy to read and understand manual.
-Is sensitive to signal interference and has a weird round shape.
-Can't be used on dogs weighing less than eight pounds.
Fun Ace Pet Fence Reviews
The system has a rechargeable receiver collar, a transmitter, perimeter radio and a radial-shaped boundary. Each containment system can be used on one dog only. It has a cordless and an easy installation process. It has a maximum setting that can cover more than the 900-foot diameter.
The fence system can fit dogs which weigh more than eight pounds and which have 20-inch necks. It is hence suitable for medium, large, extra large and small dogs. It has a waterproof and rechargeable collar. There is a battery indicator which notifies one when to recharge it. The containment system can be attached to many receiver collars hence making it possible for one to train more than one dog at a time.
-Has a fast product delivery.
-It has an excellent long, vast range.
-A waterproof collar which doesn't turn off during rainy seasons.
-Has a friendly customer service with a refund guarantee of the product.
-The collar is not adjustable as it could at times be too big or too tight.
-The manual is hard to understand as it is written in the Chinese language.
Havahart Wireless Fence
It has a collar which can track a dog's location and send a static shock to incase it has passed its boundary. This makes it easy for people to keep dogs in populous urban centers. Its manual contains clear instructions which can be easily understood and there are also useful tips on how to train dogs. It has a smooth installation process as one is not forced to bury wires underground.
The customer care representatives are willing to answer numerous questions from clients. Havahart assures each client about their dog's safety.
-It is ideal for flat areas.
-It has to be away from the road for it to be efficient. Structures block its signal transmittance and reception.
-It is affected by aluminum and metal surroundings.
Everteco Wireless pet Containment System
It is a reliable wireless system which is ideal for small dogs. There is a rechargeable transmitter which has a long charge span hence making it portable. It can be linked to several collars which are rechargeable and waterproof. There is a manual guide with instructions on how to use the collar when training dogs.
Customer care representatives are kind and friendly as they are willing to help clients. There is a 100% warranty in case the product is damaged.
When choosing the best wireless dog fence to use in your compound, you should consider the dog's size, age, temperament, and character. There are different fence systems for large and small dogs.